- Bestcef 200 Capsule: Each capsule contains Cefixime Trihydrate USP equivalent to Cefixime 200 mg.
- Bestcef 400 Capsule: Each capsule contains Cefixime Trihydrate USP equivalent to Cefixime 400 mg.
- Bestcef Powder for Suspension 50 ml: Each 5 ml reconstituted suspension contains Cefixime Trihy- drate USP equivalent to Cefixime 100 mg.
- Bestcef Powder for Suspension 37.5 ml: Each 5 ml reconstituted suspension contains Cefixime Trihydrate USP equivalent to Cefixime 100 mg.
- Bestcef Forte Powder for Suspension 50 ml: Each 5 ml reconstituted suspension contains Cefixime Trihydrate USP equivalent to Cefixime 200 mg.
- Bestcef Paediatric Drops 21 ml: Each ml reconstituted suspension contains Cefixime Trihydrate USP equivalent to Cefixime 25 mg.
- Bestcef (Cefixime) is a broad-spectrum third-generation cephalosporin antibacterial for oral administration. It is a bactericidal antibacterial and is stable to hydrolysis by many beta-lactamases.
MODE OF ACTION
- Bestcef kills bacteria by Inhibiting the synthesis of the bacterial cell wall.
- About 60% of the oral dose is absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. The plasma half-life is usually about 3 to 4 hours and may be prolonged when there is renal impairment. About 70% of Cefixime in the circulation is bound to plasma protein. Cefixime is mainly excreted unchanged in bile and urine.
- Typhoid fever
- Upper and lower respiratory tract infections Urinary tract infections
- Gonococcal urethritis & Cervicitis
- Acute otitis media.
DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION
- The usual duration of treatment is 7-14 days, according to the severity of the infection.
- Adult and child over 10 years: 200-400 mg daily in 1-2 divided doses.
- Child over 6 months: 8 mg/kg daily in 1-2 divided doses OR, 1/2-1 Year: 3.75 ml or 75 mg daily, 1-4 Years: 5 ml or 100 mg daily, 5-10 Years: 10 ml or 200 mg daily.
Bestcef is generally well tolerated. The majority of adverse reactions observed in clinical trials were mild and self-limiting in nature.
Gastrointestinal disturbances: Diarrhoea (if severe diarrhea occurs, Bestcef should be discontinued), changes in the color of stool, nausea, abdominal pain, dyspepsia, vomiting, and flatulence have been reported. Central nervous system disturbances: Headache, dizziness.
Others: Hypersensitivity reactions which usually subsided upon discontinuation of therapy; infrequent and revers- ible hematological changes; elevation of serum amylase.
- Patients with known hypersensitivity to the cephalosporin group of drugs.
- Bestcef should be prescribed with caution in individuals with a history of gastrointestinal diseases, particularly colitis. Dosage adjustment is only necessary is severe renal failure (creatinine clearance <20 ml. min-1)
USE IN PREGNANCY AND LACTATION
- No data are available, so it is probably best to avoid using the drug during the early stage of pregnancy and by nursing mothers.
- USE IN ELDERLY
- No special precautions are necessary.
- DRUG INTERACTION
- No data are available
- Capsule : Store at room temperature and away from direct sunlight.
- Suspension : Prior to reconstitution, store at room temperature.
- After reconstitution, the suspension may be kept for 14 days under refrigeration or at room temperature, without significant loss of potency
INFORMATION FOR THE PATIENT
1) Shake the bottle well before using the suspension
2) Do not discontinue the therapy suddenly, without consulting your doctor.
3) Discard unused portion of reconstituted suspension after the above-mentioned above-mentioned from the reach of the Children
- Bestcef 200 Capsule: Each box containing 3 x 5 Capsules in alu-alu blister Pack.
- Bestcef 400 Capsule: Each box containing 2 x 4 Capsules in alu-alu blister Pack.
- Bestcef Powder for Suspension 50 ml: Each amber-colored glass bottle contains dry powder for preparation of 50 ml suspension.
- Bestcef Powder for Suspension 37.5 ml: Each color glass bottle contains dry powder for preparation of 37.5 ml suspension.
- Bestcef Forte Powder for Suspension 50 ml: Each amber-colored bottle contains dry powder for preparation of 50 ml suspension.
- Bestcef Paediatric Drops 21 ml: Each amberamber-amber-amber number-coloredaso learnspowder for 21 ml Paediatric Drops.