- Biopen VK 250 mg Tablet: Each tablet contains Phenoxymethylpenicillin (Penicillin V) Potassium BP equivalent to 250 mg Phenoxymethylpenicillin (Penicillin V) BP.
- Biopen VK 100 ml PFS: Each 5 ml reconstituted suspension contains Phenoxymethylpenicillin (Penicillin V) Potassium BP equivalent to 125 mg Phenoxymethylpenicillin (Penicillin V) BP
Biopen VK (Phenoxymethylpenicillin) is acid-stable and is an orally active member of the penicillin family. Biopen VK offers a very convenient means of treating Gram-positive infections but is not indicated for Gram-negative infections involving the respiratory and urinary tracts. Biopen VK has a distinct advantage over penicillin G in resistance to inactivation by gastric acid.
Mode of action
- It acts by inhibiting the cell wall synthesis of susceptible bacteria.
Oral absorption of the drug is 40% with no presystemic metabolism. Peak serum concentration occurs within 45 minutes and the plasma half-life is about 30 minutes. Plasma protein binding of the drug is 80% and volume of distribution is 0.2L/kg.
- Mild to moderate URTI
- Prophylaxis of rheumatic fever and
- Otitis media
Dosage and Administration
- Adult : 500 mg every 6 hours increased to 750 mg every 6 hours in severe infections, Child : up to 1 year 62.5 mg 1- 5 years 125 mg,6-12 years 250 mg every 6 hours.
- The dose should be given 1 h before meals.
- Use in pregnancy and lactation
- The drug is safe in pregnancy. Penicillin excreted into human breast milk may lead to allergic reaction in the infant.
- Biopen VK is contraindicated in patients known to hypersensitive to penicillin.
- Common encountered untoward effects include nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress & diarrhoea. The hypersensitivity reactions reported are skin eruptions, urticaria and other serum sickness reactions, laryngeal oedema and anaphylaxis.
- A modest dose reduction may be appropriate in patients with severe renal failure.
- Neomycin reduces absorption and probenecid reduces excretion of penicillin V.
- Store in a dry place below 30°C. Keep away from light.
- Biopen VK 250 mg Tablet: Each box contains 10 x 10 tablets in alu-alu blister strip.
- Biopen VK 100 ml PFS: Each amber color glass bottle contains powder for the preparation of 100 ml suspension.